Saturday Ride 24 April 2021

General discussion
Brian Craven

Saturday Ride 24 April 2021

Post by Brian Craven »

Frustration, Frustration, Frustration. After not riding with the club for some time, COVID etc, decided today would be great to get out on a club ride. Duly noted my interest on FB, via Chris I am not on FB.
Met the ride leader and club rep at the farm, had a drink with them, general chat confirmed I would ride with their group. Went to the loo, for loo stop, leaving my hat etc with them on our table.
Returned to find that both 15 mph groups had left. Well that was not in the plan I thought, thankfully another group of riders were ok for me to join their group for a ride out. Big THANK YOU, you know who you are.
I am left very frustrated at the lack of organisation I witnessed today. I have been in the club a number of years, involved in many things, setting up go ride and coaching for a number of years, leading many a ride etc etc. Its always been a club of inclusive riding, supporting each other, and good conversation and wit. The friendliest club in the North, well it certainly wasn't the case today.
Rant Over :x

Richard Knight

Re: Saturday Ride 24 April 2021

Post by Richard Knight »

Hi Brian,

I hope you are well and sorry about yesterday but to rant to the whole club doesn't really seem appropriate or necessary. I get your frustration but please you rant to 'The Club' is public to a lot of people who put a lot of hard work into the club. The new kit is great, the move of the membership system to British Cycling a new communications platform coming and much more. Had you been on Facebook you would have seen that the ride was scheduled to go at 09:50 and it left late so I guess you missed the earlier start time?

Yes it was a busy day and great to see everyone after what has been weeks of a committed few. An error, but also an ask, everyone should know what time their ride is going and be ready to leave. Back in my military days, 'wheels was wheels' as they say and we left plenty strewn all over the world.

Hope to see you next week and the family all well

Richard

Adrian Snell

Post by Adrian Snell »

Hi Brian,

I didn’t see what happened so can’t comment, sorry you missed the group. I do agree with Richard it’s the riders responsibility to be ready and be aware when your ride is leaving.

I think your comments are a little harsh, if you asked anyone else present yesterday they would not see it the same way, but understand it was said in frustration, I hope you get out next week and glad you managed to still get out yesterday

See you soon mate 👍🏼

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke »

I agree with Brian about the underlying issues he raises - the club is not inclusive, and not friendly in the way it was 10 years ago when every club member was as much in the club as any other.

Since lockdown restrictions eased at the end of March the only club rides I have seen any information about are Gordon's TOGs rides. There is nothing on the website, forum, or by email about what other opportunities there are to take part in club activities. For those who aren't on FB, and yes there are a number of us, we aren't included in Saturday rides. It is not inclusive to just post club activities on FB. That makes some members more in the club than others. What was "Virtual Majorca"? I would have liked to have taken part in some of the rides I saw retrospectively on Strava, but wasn't included in them as I'm not on FB. Are there other paced club rides on a Thursday or is it just Gordon's group? There is no reason I can think of that basic information of what club activities exists and how to take part can't be made available to all members.

As Brian says, he has contributed a lot to the club over a lot of years - between us we must have organised and lead hundreds of opportunities for members to take part in club rides or coaching regardless of who they were. We should absolutely be allowed to raise issues of inclusion - I have done so before in private and at committee meetings, but if anything the club has become less inclusive, so I am going to speak up about it again here. Before someone tells me to "get with the times" and use FB, it isn't really about that - it is about the ethos of the club, and the principle of including everyone.

Brian - you will always be welcome to have a ride out with me.

Adrian Snell

Post by Adrian Snell »

Thanks for your observations Roger. Brian spoke to me on Sunday and all is well.

We are now very much past the “Facebook or website” debate thank goodness, with the new platforms that are going to start rolling out as per Gordon’s communications. There is however a short transition period where coms may not be perfect, we rely on the patience and self reliance of our members and I’m sure we will be in an even better place than 10 years ago.

I’m sorry you feel the need to express such a negative opinion in such a public way, when there has been a lot of work put in by lots of people Committee and none Committee to bring as many activities to all members under difficult circumstances.

Keith Aungiers

Post by Keith Aungiers »

It is good to hear about progress on the club's infrastructure and communications. I have had my invitation for Spond today. Members are what makes the club special and - for various reasons - quite a few have become somewhat detached from club life over the last year. I look forward to re-engaging and helping others to get the benefit of their membership as a fuller programme of activities gets underway, Government restrictions permitting. Let's deliver on that "friendliest" claim.

Richard Knight

Post by Richard Knight »

Evening and interesting to read this thread. I was there on Saturday and what was an honest mistake with Brian on a busy day at Kirkley now seems to have become a ground to talk about this faceless club isn’t friendly piece. The club is an entity and it is the people that are in it that make it. To start labelling hundreds of people as not friendly is pretty harsh. All a bit disappointing and given we had a website project to sort the communications issues out and move from Facebook I find it a bit rich Roger that having left the group you are now critiquing others. Yes this is public but frankly I am pretty fed up, there is a select few trying to do their very best for the club, giving up their time and energy to never get any praise and only criticism. The club can never move forward without support to those running it and I for one am very grateful to everyone for all their efforts and commitment. I am looking forward to using the new comms platform and yes it may be another app but I get if I want to be a member of a club that is using a specific platform to talk to its members I need to be on it, not arguing why I shouldn’t. Covid 19 has bought challenges and hopefully we as a nation and club can move forward to better times led by those working hard to get us out riding our bikes. Chapeau to the Committee

Keith Aungiers

Post by Keith Aungiers »

It seems that I failed in my attempt to draw a line under this subject by posting in what I thought was a positive and supportive way. I am looking forward to getting the club back to normal - or even better - as the threat from Covid-19 continues to recede. We need to re-engage all of our members in ways that are innovative, inspiring and inclusive. A great start has been made.

I am happy to play my part and to say loudly and proudly why Tyneside Vagabonds is my club of choice. Let's move on together.