Take care at Blagdon

General discussion
Keith Aungiers

Take care at Blagdon

Post by Keith Aungiers »

Take care if you make use of the cycle path that runs south alongside the slip road to the A1 between Stannington Vale and Blagdon Hall. There are a couple of exit/entry roads where you need to look out for cars. I mention this because today - having been that way many times without incident - I was unlucky/careless enough to be in a low speed collision with a car emerging from the road nearest to the top of the hill.

Seeing a stationary car sitting just back from the junction, I made the mistake of thinking that it had stopped to let me across. The driver of the Mercedes said that he had expected me to stop so moved off straight into me. On reflection, I have a feeling that he did not even see me until it was too late. He then went on an errand, returning a few minutes later on foot, not to enquire about or help me but to reinforce the point that it was my fault. He might have been right. Charitably, his lack of concern for my welfare may have been a symptom of worries about Covid-19. No details were exchanged.

Damage was limited to a lightly buckled front wheel (usable with the brake released), 2 unusually shaped but still working brake/gear levers and some scuffed handlebar tape. Aside from 2 painful swellings near my knees (now subsiding), and sore thumbs my main, though relatively superficial injuries were cuts and abrasions to my right shin. These cleaned up well with the gel that I now carry everywhere and my versatile kerchief made an impromptu bandage. Riding home was not too difficult but I think tomorrow some stiffness is likely. I'll probably postpone planned repainting of the pooch's bedroom.

Stay safe everyone. Keith

John Buswell

Re: Take care at Blagdon

Post by John Buswell »

Thanks for the heads up Keith, but more importantly very sorry to hear about the accident. Hope your recovery is swift. I think you’ve shown more generosity to the driver in giving him the benefit of the doubt over whose fault it was than I would have done.

Keith Aungiers

Post by Keith Aungiers »

Thanks John. They call me Mr Generosity - if not with largesse at least in respect of the actions of other people! I was just happy to be able to be on my way. I have fettled the bike and am waiting for a few bruises/lumps to subside before heading out on the road again.

Lewis Balfour

Post by Lewis Balfour »

Sorry to hear about the accident, and thanks for the warning!