A cautionary tale and a learning curve

General discussion
Keith Aungiers

A cautionary tale and a learning curve

Post by Keith Aungiers »

One might think that as a cyclist for over 50 years this sort of thing should not happen to me ...

Out for an exploratory ride on Saturday I was hailed by one of the residents when I found myself in a literal dead end street. It was club stalwart Lynda Parkin onto whose stamping ground I had strayed. Given what happened next, our brief conversation could later be described as the highlight of the ride.

A short while later I diverted onto a track I hadn't done before. I was concentrating on selecting a low gear for the coming steep hill when there was a tremendous crunching sound followed by a rapid full deflation of my rear tyre. This was the first time since I got my new bike (last November) that a puncture had caused a flat. The tubeless tyres that I am using usually seal themselves after a short interval. This time, after a great deal of pumping it was clear that the sealant just wasn't going to seal sufficiently for me to ride, even at severely reduced pressure.

So it was out with my rear wheel for the first time ever. I fitted an inner tube carried for just this eventuality and smiled at my foresight. There would be no problem getting home once the tube was inflated. But then I found that my pump had almost seized up. I applied tremendous effort and started pumping but no air came out. It was clear that we were both knackered. Still, it was a nice day to skin my heel on the 6 mile walk home.

On reflection, this was the first major issue I have had since getting the tubeless tyres. I learned a few things from the experience so it was maybe not so bad that it happened when I was close to home rather than in the depths of Kielder forest. Next day I learned how to plug the 2 unsealable cuts in my rather worn tyre, added new sealant to replace the stuff that dried up months ago, and found out that a track pump is sufficient to get my tyre and rim combination to seat properly. After diagnosis as terminal my pump is in the bin. And the tube that was the solution to my problem, I had punctured it on a thorn that had been stuck in the tyre since who knows when. I'll remember to check all round if there is a next time.
Regards

Keith

David Croft

Re: A cautionary tale and a learning curve

Post by David Croft »

Interesting. First time you puncture is quite alarming especially if the ‘white stuff’ doesn’t stop showing itself! I’ve tried the plugs with limited success and decided this maybe because a)the plugs don’t hold at higher pressures viz 55-60psi that my tyres recommended and b) - and I think more to the point - I have rubbish tyres! They are Mavic Allroads Yskions 30mm. Meant to be all purpose but to my way of thinking aren’t a master of any purpose. Ok with sealing thorns but cut too easily and quite badly. Min pressure is advised at 55 and ideally between 65-80psi. I’m binning and going for Panaracer Gravel Kings I think or Terrano’s. Of course, I may just have been unlucky!

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke »

Makes me wonder if I have just been lucky to date with my tubeless tyres. I don't use them on my summer bike but will be back on my winter bike shortly. I do now have some plugs to carry with me.

I discovered a few years ago that my pump had seized, fortunately whilst at home. I had probably been riding round with it like that for quite some time. Definitely worth checking from time to time but so easy not to consider along with regular bike maintenance.

Andy Berne

Post by Andy Berne »

A lot of Audax riders carry a spare tyre as well as tubes. I normally have a spare used 25 tyre as a get me round until I sort it out. Saved me once or twice, particularly middle of nowhere in Scotland about 2am one April morning in very cold persisting rain. As soon as I realised the tyre had a problem just changed both tyre and tube so no worries about thorns. cuts etc. Yes, it's a bit more weight but for anyone doing a longer ride consider taking one.