Covid 19-Update on Club Activities

General discussion
Gordon Atkinson

Covid 19-Update on Club Activities

Post by Gordon Atkinson »

I have discussed with the Chairman how we may be able to get club rides and other activities going again once the cycling organisations are able to provide some appropriate guidance. Neither Cycling UK nor British Cycling are advocating any activities which could be described as 'club' activity. C.UK say the latest Government guidance would appear to confirm that up to six people can now cycle together in a socially distanced group, although cycling is not specifically mentioned in the guidance. BC have said that activities such as coaching, instructing and leading club rides can be reintroduced at shorter notice than competitive activities, with appropriate guidance and measures to manage risk ensuring guidance with Government guidance and emerging best practice.

CTT are hoping that it will be possible for some events to take place, perhaps initially in some limited form, in the not too distant future. Nick will be able to put on some club Time Trials, if it is permitted while daylight lasts. He is still expecting the 100 to go ahead at the end of August.

First and foremost at the present time is the health and well being of our club members and we will not therefore be promoting any club activities (in the broadest sense of the word) until matters are clarified.

I hope everyone is keeping both physically and mentally well in these trying times. Whatever you do, stay safe.

Gordon Atkinson

Re: Covid 19-Update on Club Activities

Richard, myself and a few other committee members had a virtual meeting on Friday to start to discuss the way forward towards restarting some club activities. Nationally, matters are changing all the time and we heard on Saturday 20 June that the Government is reviewing the social distancing guidelines, including the personal separation distance. I drafted this over the weekend, and there are likely to be announcements nationally in coming days, but I think it still provides a good summary of where we are now.

At the moment it looks as if Saturday 4 July could be a critical date on which a change to the current restrictions could be sanctioned. We would hope that shortly after this date, we can restart our Saturday, Sunday and Thursday club rides. Managing the exceptional risks which exist will need to continue, together with the normal risks that exist
with group rides ( https://www.tynevags.org.uk/the-club/cl ... r-guidance ). As things currently stand, the group size will be a maximum of six, and the ride can only take place if social distancing is possible. This
may mean, for example, that rides on busy route where other members of the public (e.g. pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders) are likely to be frequently encountered are not possible.

How we manage the start of rides will be critical. For example, we would not want to see a typical morning gathering of cyclists outside a cafe in Ponteland. Quite apart from any public health risks, we don't want the club to be seen in a bad light by the local residents.

The traditional lunch stop doesn't seem likely for the time being. Although a number of venues are open for takeaway food and drink (or consumption in an outdoor area at the venue where social distancing allows), these are likely to be busy, especially at the weekends. It may therefore be more appropriate to arrange a shorter ride than usual, without a lunch stop.

Some of our members will be classed as 'clinically vulnerable' for no reason other than age and some may have underlying health conditions. This may mean that some ride leaders will not feel ready just yet to take part in group rides and other club members may not want to ride in a group. What we all need to ensure as a committee and as individuals is that everyone’s health is the priority.

What we would like to do at this stage is identify a pool of members who are able to act as ride leaders when club activities are restarted. A number of members have been out on the roads recently in small groups so their experience will be invaluable at this time. We would therefore be really grateful if all members could consider if they would be able to
lead a few rides in the coming weeks. At this stage all we are looking for is names, and we can then work on distance, pace, days etc.

If you are able to help, please reply to this this thread.

Finally, I just wanted to mention that Nick has been working hard to put on a TT series this summer. At the moment it looks as if the earliest date for an event will be Thursday 16 July. We are also looking at Go Ride activities and will be in contact soon.

Adrian Snell

Post by Adrian Snell »

Thanks Gordon, I’ll be available on Saturdays.

Jon Bigg

Post by Jon Bigg »

Hi Gordon, I'd be happy to lead a ride. I may be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays, depending on my work schedule, which is out of kilter at the moment. I will normally be available on Saturdays too. Maybe we could start some rides from the rugby club in Kingston Park to reduce the amount of congregating in Ponteland? There is a handful of riders who go past the rugby club anyway when cycling to and from club rides.

Catherine Powell

Post by Catherine Powell »

Hi Gordon,

I could lead rides on Saturdays.

Jonathan.

Gordon Atkinson

The committee had a brief virtual meeting on Monday and we discussed how we can restart club rides in the current circumstances. We would like to arrange club rides on Saturday 11 July and we are currently looking at the way this can be safely facilitated. It would be helpful if we could have a few more potential leaders, so if you feel you are able to help, please let us know.

Gordon Atkinson

Just a quick update. Firstly, thank you to all those who have left their names on either the Forum or F/B to lead rides. Richard, Adrian and myself are working on a plan for next Saturday. I think at this stage it will very much be 'test' rides within the guidelines. More details will follow early next week. Please bear in mind that it is a first attempt and it is going to be a challenge so there will be some expectations on those attending, including a willingness to commit before the day to sort numbers.