Half way to the 300,000 club

General discussion
Roger Clarke

Half way to the 300,000 club

Post by Roger Clarke » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Earlier this week my lifetime mileage ticked over the 150,000 mark, which puts me half way to membership of the 300,000 club. These are all real miles - turbo doesn't count!.

To join the 300,000 club you have to have cycled 300,000 miles, on a moving machine (so no turbo "mileage") in your lifetime and be able to provide evidence of that. To date there have only ever been 153 members accepted into the "club" and there are currently 60 members.

The club has a nice little website with a bit about the history and a list of current and former members - worth a read if you are suffering from lockdown boredom (or even if you aren't):
https://300k-cc.co.uk/

Some notable names on the list:
  • Russ Mantle who recently racked up his millionth mile.
  • George Berwick - prolific time triallist who I believe has completed more 24 hour races than anyone else.
  • Jim Hopper - tricycling time triallist.
  • Robin Johnson - prolific time trial organiser from Brighton. Rode out MTT many years ago as he had never done a TT in our district before, so drove from Brighton especially for it.
  • Harry Lodge - pro rider from the 1990s, and supplier of our club kit 10 years ago.
  • Mike Westmorland - Border City Wheeler and organiser of lakes & Lancs SPOCO for some years, regular participant in our MTT.
My father missed out on reaching membership of the club by about 500 miles - he had completed more in his lifetime but didn't start logging them until into his twenties.

Of course you not only have to ride that many miles but also be one of those people who records their mileage. My dad recorded my mileage from when I first started riding aged 4 (19 miles that year!), and I just continued doing that. Earlier this year I rediscovered a missing year of mileage paperwork (worth 5,000 miles) which lead to me adding up my current total. Reaching 300,000 miles is not an ambition of mine, but with good health and a following wind I may get there. About 130,000 of my miles have been since the age of 18, so continuing at just above that rate could get me within spitting distance by the age of 80.

So who are the biggest mile-eaters in the club? I would put my bets on those who have raced, toured and / or audaxed. Hugh Harrison would be my bet for highest mileage (he has one or two years on most members too). Aidan Hedley must have knocked out a mile or two in his time and Anne Young. I bet Keith Aungiers has too.

Gordon Atkinson

Re: Half way to the 300,000 club

Post by Gordon Atkinson » Sat May 02, 2020 10:50 am

That's a terrific achievement Roger, well done. I've only been keeping records since 2001, and have 113,680 miles. Nothing in the past 6 weeks.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Gordon Atkinson

Post by Gordon Atkinson » Sat May 02, 2020 10:54 am

I've just read that adults in Spain are being allowed outside to exercise, so I imagine Hugh will be on the road.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Keith Aungiers

Post by Keith Aungiers » Sat May 02, 2020 7:04 pm

That's an impressive number of miles for such a young chap, Roger and all documented too. I've never really kept a record (I did one year but my mileometer started going backwards one rainy day)and always say that it is quality that counts.

Reflecting on it, I must have racked up a fair number over the 52 years since I started at age 13. Riding in from Ashington every Sunday before going on a traditional CTC all day ride gave me some big mileages early on. As a student and young professional my 3 day weekends of youth hostelling, camping, rough stuffing, bothying and longer tours at bank holidays and in the summer will have made a big contribution. They are in the distant past and my mileage is modest these days although I was doing quite well this year ...

As well as his 24 hour events George Berwick also made some attempts at the end to end record. His Rough Stuff Fellowship group went by the name of 'The Vagabonds'. I even had a weekend in a bothy with 'wee nasty' as George styles himself. Now that was one strange weekend.

My old mate Alan Macaulay must have covered a lot of miles as well.

There are a few other names that I recognise as former (ie now deceased)or current members of the 300,000 club: local cyclists Fred Cowling and Norman Findlater; super-tourists and Audax men Chris Davies (CCP), Dave Pountney and Neville Chanin; CTC stalwart, railway enthusiast and cycling journalist Peter Knottley who used to run cycle tours from Otterburn Hall in the 1970s; Morgan Reynolds who I knew from my student days in Leicester; prolific tour leader Pete Crofts.

Hugh Harrison

Post by Hugh Harrison » Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 pm

Interesting topic and I wish that I had kept a record and indeed an annual diary. I think that as Roger said, if you start off recording at an early age it continues naturally. I have been riding for a total of about 45 years so at a minimum amount of 100 miles per week that would equate to 225000 miles. I got my first non sit up and beg bike at 15 and started club riding in 1951 with the Vagabonds. That lasted for 11 years until I had to take work seriously and abandoned the bike for 25 years when I started riding with the Vags again , having helped to reform the club in '73 . Since then my miles have increased dramatically but again unrecordedly until the last 10 years or so with Garmin since when I've averaged around 9000 per annum. So I could estimate my lifetime mileage at in excess of 250000 and maybe close to 300000. However at the moment its an increasing number at least from last Saturday when we were released from lockdown after 48 days and allowed out to exercise. However we have to stay in the Municipality of Denia and my age group the plus 70s ( Oh to be 70 again) are only allowed out for 2 hours a rule that is strictly observed by the Police.So ,the secret of joining the 300000 mile club is not necessarily to ride a lot of miles each year, you can get away with a moderate number of miles per year if you have a lot of years. Anyway apart from that the weather is super ,the roads are empty, the scenery is wonderful and life is good .Enjoy every mile and STAY SAFE.

Anne Young

Post by Anne Young » Sun May 10, 2020 5:20 pm

Well one Roger on your miles. I'm flattered you considered me as a possible. I've never kept a proper log of my miles so no idea where I am up to. At a guess I have probably averaged 9-10,000 miles over the last 25 years (this year will be an exception for many reasons). The late Graham Wanless from the VC167 was a member of the 300,000 mile club. Possibly Gordon Panicca too.
I am currently documenting my cols and passes in order to make an OCD claim - up to over 700,000 points/metres at present - Hugh and Cliff Sore will no doubt have many more than me.

Austin Wilcock

Post by Austin Wilcock » Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Well done Roger a great achievement and good luck and best wishes for the next 150,000 miles (do your tandem miles count?)

Like a lot of people I've always cycled on and off for leisure or commuting but I would never have thought of myself a 'serious' cyclist until after being in the Vags for a while, prior to that a 10 mile bike ride at 11mph was considered quick for me and Berwick Hill seemed like the Alps.

I started a written log of my rides in August 2009 and have since logged to date 65,329 miles, so I'm a relative lightweight against some of the riders mentioned in the thread.

I'm not sure what other people who keep a written log record, but my log contains the usual Date, Start Time, Ride Time, Distance, Ave. Speed, and Total Ascent. I also record my destination, the route, weather conditions and make a note of any riding companions. Finally I make brief notes regarding the ride itself.

Happy riding everyone and hopefully we'll all be out on club rides again soon

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke » Thu May 21, 2020 8:58 pm

Keith Aungiers wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:04 pm
I even had a weekend in a bothy with 'wee nasty' as George styles himself. Now that was one strange weekend.
If it was strange by your standards then I'm certainly looking forward to hearing about it!
Anne Young wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:20 pm
At a guess I have probably averaged 9-10,000 miles over the last 25 years
That is an impressive distance then Anne, as I thought it might be.
Gordon and Austin have also been racking up the miles quicker than I have over any period of time in my cycling career.
Austin Wilcock wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm
I'm not sure what other people who keep a written log record, but my log contains the usual Date, Start Time, Ride Time, Distance, Ave. Speed, and Total Ascent. I also record my destination, the route, weather conditions and make a note of any riding companions. Finally I make brief notes regarding the ride itself.
That is a lot of information you are recording - I only note mileage and which bike it was on, although I am starting to note some things down on more significant rides I do such as when touring, plus I record some video on those too.
My dad used to log an inordinate number of things, though he only kept a descriptive log of his rides when touring - I have all of those log books and I'm considering how to publish them. In addition he noted all "roughstuff" mileage, and kept tallies of the number of rides by distance in 10 mile bands by month and year - a bit like a manual veloviewer. Not forgetting records of all bike related expenses!!