A jersey for Fausto

General discussion
Keith Aungiers

A jersey for Fausto

Post by Keith Aungiers »

I have had an excellent day off-roading south of the Tyne in the company of Brian Finlay. We stopped for lunch at the cycling themed Fausto Coffee at Roker. As well as the lamps made from bike wheels and a Pinarello hanging on the wall there is a display of cycling jerseys from far and wide, including several from local clubs. But Tyneside Vagabonds is not represented. It occurred to me that someone may have a spare jersey that no longer fits their slimmed down shape, or that they have fallen out of love with, or perhaps has a defective zip. If so, I feel that the friendly people at the cafe would find room on the wall for one more jersey if we asked them nicely ...

If anyone is interested in our route I have a 42 mile circuit that - no surprise - starts quite near to my house, crosses to the south via the pedestrian/cycle tunnel and returns by the Shields ferry. It could be picked up at various points if coming from Newcastle or North Tyneside (or further afield), or at the tunnel itself. A road bike would be alright but something with bigger tyres and smaller gears would be better. Contact me if you want further details and a copy of the route.

Briefly the route comprises a series of cycle ways (many paved, some alongside roads) via Jarrow, Monkton, Follingsby, Castletown and Roker, returning via Seaburn and South Shields. There's a link section of about 5 miles in the outward leg which uses a quiet on-road route. Sights en-route include distant Penshaw Monument, the Aircraft Museum, Northern Spire, Stadium of Light, National Glass Centre, Red House sculpture, Cannonball Rocks, Souter Point and Marsden rock.

Brian Finlay

Re: A jersey for Fausto

Post by Brian Finlay »

It was certainly a grand day out , Keith fashioned a great route south of the river with numerous interesting features.

I have no doubt it would make a great day out for us Vags who like a change of scene, good cafe too,

Looked through the drawers and I have an old short sleeved top which I could donate to Fausto's , the walls do look a bit lacking without one of our tops.

Brian

Roger Clarke

Re: A jersey for Fausto

Post by Roger Clarke »

I delivered a 1990s style yellow and green striped club top to Fausto Coffee yesterday and it was gratefully received.