Tom Simpson Talk

General discussion
Gordon Atkinson

Tom Simpson Talk

Post by Gordon Atkinson » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

I've had an email from Chris Sidwells, cycling author and Tom's newphew:

'I just wanted to inform you that I will be doing a talk on the life of Britain's first men's elite road race world champion, and the only British cyclist ever to win three of the five Monuments of Cycling, Tom Simpson at Bobiks venue, which is at the Punchbowl Hotel, 125 Jesmond Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1JY, on Tuesday 21st January, starting at 7.00pm..

The event is part of a nationwide tour of the UK I'm doing to tell Tom's story from a unique perspective. I'm his nephew and during the 16 years I've worked as a freelance cycling journalist I have met and interviewed as many of his rivals, team mates, manager, helpers and even his accountant. I also had unique access to his close family. The result is my book, Cycling Legends 01 Tom Simpson. Lavishly illustrated with 167 black and white and colour photos, 50 just of Tom have never been published before, the book tells Tom Simpson's story in unrivalled detail to produce the ultimate portrait of the man.

My talk is illustrated with many rare photos, and I take the bike Tom won Paris-Nice on to the venues, as well as a very special rainbow jersey of his and other memorabilia.

In addition I offer copies of Cycling Legends 01 Tom Simpson at a discount price to all who attend the talks.'

No charge is mentioned but a message has also been sent to the Vags' Audax Events page-it is £5 and there is a link for booking: https://www.bobiks.com/misc/bobikslivem ... FWybQRew5s