New Club Jersey Badge - Survey ends 1st Dec

General discussion
Ken Thursby

New Club Jersey Badge - Survey ends 1st Dec

Post by Ken Thursby » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Hello Vagabonds,
Just a reminder for first claim members to complete the online survey to choose your preferred badge for the new Club Jersey. Please check your email for the survey link. The survey closes Sunday 1-December.

Thank you to those who have already completed the survey... we've had 70 responses so far!

Keith Aungiers

Re: New Club Jersey Badge - Survey ends 1st Dec

Post by Keith Aungiers » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:09 pm

You've had 2 responses from me because I made a mistake initially and chose the one that I didn't want. I know that you said that multiple entries from the same account would be discounted and held to be invalid. I'm happy with that as I would rather register a 'null' vote than one that goes against what I really want.

I note that, whichever option goes forward, there will be some change from the badge/logo as it currently exists. Is there a plan to produce additional artwork that can be used in other places that the current logo appears? This would include the website and other online media such as the Audax Facebook page. Or is it intended that the 'updated'' badge is restricted to being used on the jersey and that the existing badge/artwork continues to be used for the website etc.?

When I was secretary of the local branch of CTC (Cycling UK) I was supplied with an electronic copy of the then new logo (it has changed again since) for embedding in web pages, to be used on any publications, as letterhead and so on.

Ken Thursby

Post by Ken Thursby » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:43 am

Hi Keith,
Thanks for letting me know about your 2 votes.
No problem to remove the mistaken one...
Your first vote was for the 3D goat... your second one was for the 2D goat... I assume its the latter that you want to keep?

As for your other questions, the artwork for the new badge exists electronically now... you can use it for anything you like. The updated badge is intended for the Jersey, but could be used anywhere. I would suggest you speak with the committee about those points to work through them.

Best, Ken

Keith Aungiers

Post by Keith Aungiers » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:23 pm

Something else has occurred to me in relation to the proposal to include 'Est 1937' on the badge. The club history set out in the 1949-50 handbook states clearly that Tyneside Vagabonds was formed in 1947 from 3 existing clubs that were founded in: 1935 - Fenham Wheelers; 1936 - Tyneside Wheelers; 1937 - The Vagabonds.

Hence it is not strictly accurate to say that 'Tyneside Vagabonds' was established in 1937.

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Keith,

You raise an interesting question.

The club celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 1987, and I can recall discussion ahead of the 70th about whether it should be 1937 or 1947 (we stuck with 1937). My view is that if in 1987, when many members present, including the founding member of Vagabonds C.C., decided that the club should consider it was founded in 1937, then they probably made a more informed decision than we could now. I suspect that was probably based on that founding member who was (I think)by then club president having his roots with the club that he founded. I can see where the argument could be for any of the other dates but not sure they have a greater claim. And as we have used 1937 for so long it would make most sense to me to stick with that.

Hugh Harrison

Post by Hugh Harrison » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Good point Roger
I well remember the 50th Anniversary Celebration in 1987, Beryl Burton was Guest of Honour and it was extremely well attended. A couple of hundred as I recall. Certainly plenty of early members if not founding members to comment if the date was erroneous. The name Vagabonds adopted by the three formation clubs seems to indicate the prime mover, while Tyneside only identifies the area. I think that we can safely assume that 1937 is our effective birth year. That will save me having to dispose of my rather nice Commemorative Plate.

Keith Aungiers

Post by Keith Aungiers » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:48 pm

I'm happy with that!