Edinburgh to York record

General discussion
Roger Clarke

Edinburgh to York record

Post by Roger Clarke » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:44 am

Someone is attempting to break the record for cycling from Edinburgh to York tomorrow, Saturday 7th Sept. Leaving Edinburgh at 06:00 he should be riding through Ponteland around about 10am. I'm intending to give him a shout from the bridge in Pont. It is a rare opportunity to watch the slightly strange world of place to place record setting on our doorstep. Maybe worth popping out of Samms to watch him ride through.

There should be a tracker for him which I'll post a link to in the morning when I get it. I think the record is about 8 hours!

Alan Dick

Re: Edinburgh to York record

Post by Alan Dick » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Ah Roger, just seen this post. That explains why you and Charlotte were standing on the bridge this morning. What time did he come through? (assuming he did come through)

Roger Clarke

Post by Roger Clarke » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:32 pm

He (Richard Sharp)came through at 10.06, bang on his schedule, having left Edinburgh at 6am. So 96 miles in 4:06! Had a brief chat with him as he got stopped at the lights and he was in good spirits - and pleased for a short break. He broke the record by about 13 minutes, new record being 7 hours 56 minutes. Greg Melia was at the finish in York to see him arrive.

Alan Dick

Post by Alan Dick » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:50 am

Wow, some pace. Pleased you got to witness his record breaking ride and to have a brief chat and offer support. He picked a good day for it with a northerly wind. I wish I’d seen your post earlier as it’d have been good to have all the Saturday rides at the side of the road to cheer him on.