This one goes out to ...

General discussion
Keith Aungiers

This one goes out to ...

Post by Keith Aungiers » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:52 pm

... David Edwards as I know that he loves the area. If the weather had not been so wild and wet today's plan was to tackle a classic circular route via the Megget Stane, going outwards via the notably steep climb at Talla Linfoots and returning via an easy climb then 4 mile descent of Mountbenger. I did drive around for research purposes and rarely have I seen rivers in such spate or roads with so much standing and free-flowing water.

The route may appeal to members so I have added it to the club route library here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28988737

Route notes:
The gratuitous climb at Dreva could be omitted but it is a lovely lane with great views. Talla Linfoots after 22 miles speaks for itself. The detour along St Mary's loch is probably only worthwhile if the Glen Cafe is open (closed November-March, restricted hours outside main summer season). Other than The Gordon Arms (sometimes open), there is no obvious alternative source of sustenance until Innerleithen (detour after 45 miles). A short cut back from near the Megget Water dam would be to follow the track to the head of the Manor Water (4 miles).

David Edwards

Re: This one goes out to ...

Post by David Edwards » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Yes Keith a truly beautiful part of the world. Fabulous route. Thoroughly recommended.