A Tribute to Bob Melrose

General discussion
David Edwards

A Tribute to Bob Melrose

Post by David Edwards » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi all

https://www.gofundme.com/tribute-to-bob-melrose

As many of you know, Bob Melrose was a valued member of the Club, being the 'go to man' for Saturday club rides - organising ride leaders, proposed venues and liaising with venue hosts.

Bob would often lead a group himself with his usual added wit and wisdom.

Saturday rides became incredibly popular and Bob was at the heart of that.

Losing Bob, after a short illness, was incredibly sad for his family and friends.

A number of club members are intent on raising sufficient funds to purchase a quality hardwood outdoor two-seater garden bench (with engraved plaque) and have this positioned in the front garden of Bob's favourite cycling café destination, The Hearth at Horsley, Northumberland.

We'd like this to be a tribute to Bob and offer a place to reflect when The Hearth is visited on the many rides Bob's cycling friends still undertake.

Both Bob's wife Ann and the owners of The Hearth are fully supportive of this proposal.

Around £450 is required to purchase the seat, have the wood treated and additional rubber feet added. Suppliers (Jacksons Timber Yard, Hexham Northumberland have been identified as the proposed supplier). Should this fundraising campaign result in any additional funds over the purchase costs, they would be donated to the charity of Ann's choice.

I propose to be in charge of funds raised to purchase the seat and any additional works, with invoices retained to ensure all transactions are documented and transparent.

In due course it would be fantastic to have one of the TVCC rides to The Hearth organised to coincide with the siting of the seat, with an invite for Ann to join us all.

Anyone wishing to make a donation can do so by following the link at the top of this post.

Adam Hogarth

Re: A Tribute to Bob Melrose

Post by Adam Hogarth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for taking your time to coordinate this. What a great idea!

Bob is still a massive miss, especially on a Saturday club run. This will be a fantastic tribute to him.

Thanks,

Adam

David Edwards

Post by David Edwards » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks Adam. Donations already being made thankyou all. I also meant to say that I attended the club committee meeting on Monday and the idea was given full support. I know Gordon is going to include something in the next update.

David Edwards

Post by David Edwards » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

By way of an update, in only a few days of posting, £360 has been donated already.

An incredible response.

I propose a cut off at the end of the first week in October.

Meantime we will be speaking to Jackson's Timber to get things lined up.

Ann, having seen some Facebook posts, has also been in touch with me to express how happy she was to see this and looked forward to seeing Bob's (and her) cycling friends again at The Hearth sometime soon.

Thanks again.

Keith Aungiers

Post by Keith Aungiers » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:18 pm

A great idea. Bob is sorely missed and fondly remembered by all who had the privilege to know him.

Ken Thursby

Post by Ken Thursby » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Really nice tribute to the friendliest of Vagabonds and a true gentleman.
A fitting location in the sunny front garden, pride of place to witness copious amounts of tea and cake being consumed.
Bob would love that!
Thanks David for arranging it :D

David Edwards

Post by David Edwards » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 pm

By way of a further update, just to advise that the total donated to date is currently standing at £500, £478.74 (this net of the Go Fund Me fees).

As we have surpassed the original target I will look to close the 'campaign' down at the end of September now.

I am hoping then to have the seat acquired with associated engraving by the end of October very latest. I'll also liaise with Ann regarding any balance left over 're charitable donation.

I will keep you updated.

David

David Edwards

Post by David Edwards » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:56 pm

A quick update as I am closing down the GoFundMe link. £570 raised (an incredible response), £546.60 net of GoFundMe fees. In addition to a £10 cash donation total funds available £556.60.

Thanks all.

I am hoping to order the seat this week.

Further advices will follow.

David Edwards

Post by David Edwards » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:42 pm

A 5 foot hardwood sèat (Alexander Rose / Roble range)has been ordered from Jackson's of Hexham (£449 after a small discount kindly given) and once delivered will be treated and have an engraved plaque ordered once measurements reaffirmed. Again thanks all for donations. Without your support this couldn't happen, David.