Some good rides week beginning 31 August 2020

Keith Aungiers

Some good rides week beginning 31 August 2020

Post by Keith Aungiers »

My plans to follow the lead of the soulful Lou Rawls and go to Chicago for a holiday have been shelved for a reason that is not hard to guess. But, although I am not going away on holiday my dog still is, so I will have a week for doing some daily activities without the need to rush home to see to the hound's needs. Firstly, this frees me up for marshalling duties at the 100 mile TT on Sunday next week. Then I have a few days with nothing planned but a desire to get out on some decent rides either on my own or (hence this message) in a socially distanced way with a small group of others. So far I have in mind:

- a 50+ mile local ride to the Canny Cuppa near Causey Park
- a 42 mile 'gravel' ride starting at Bellingham, using a lane and forest road route to Kielder and back via Plashetts.
- Haswell to Hart and back via Thorpe Thewles - 45 miles nearly all offroad
- Blackadder, Whiteadder, Ale and Tweed: a 55 mile road ride starting at Duns to Eyemouth via Abbey St Bathans and Coldingham Moor, returning via Union Bridge and Norham

Other ideas will come to me in the next few days and will include some road and off-road rides and (depending upon where) possibly BYOB - bring your own bait.

This is something of a flyer just to say that if any club member(s) fancies joining me for some interesting but not especially challenging rides on any day from Monday 31 August to Friday 4 September please get in touch by 29 August at the latest. If there are any takers I'll update this post with some more worked out ideas, including routes, Covid awareness and catering options.
Last edited by Keith Aungiers on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Older now but still riding against the wind

John Buswell

Re: Invitation to join me for some good rides week beginning 31 August 2020

Post by John Buswell »

Great idea Keith and I really like the sound of those routes. However your dog’s holiday coincides with our own so we won’t be able to join you unfortunately. But if the hound gets a taste for getting away again, or anyway, it’d be nice to join you another time in what I am sure will be a sparkling September.
Regards
John

Roger Clarke

Re: Invitation to join me for some good rides week beginning 31 August 2020

Post by Roger Clarke »

I'm looking forward to joining Keith on one of his rides next Friday - not sure where we'll be going but I'm sure it will be a good day out.
Hang on grimly 'til you get dropped

Keith Aungiers

Duns to Eyemouth and back - another great route

Post by Keith Aungiers »

A great day out in good company.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33879952

The route worked out really well, crossing the A1 was a cinch, and the club sandwich at the Waterfront Cafe at Eyemouth was very tasty. Lovely deserted and hilly lanes through good scenery with some swooping descents and the occasional uphill bit. A little windy too but that did not spoil the fun. Thanks to Roger for coming on a heavy bike to even things up.
20200904_120501.jpg
20200904_120501.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Terry Mole

Re: Some good rides week beginning 31 August 2020

Post by Terry Mole »

Keith

Just got proper access to the Vags site, thanks to Roger Clarkes help today, and have seen your post. Not sure how far you are now through your suggested rides but would be interested in joining you, particularly mid-week on one or more of these.

I will be joining Roger on the first of our TOGS to Moorhouse tomorrow!

Kind Regards,
Terry Mole.

Keith Aungiers

Re: Some good rides week beginning 31 August 2020

Post by Keith Aungiers »

Hi Terry,

This thread is about some rides that I was planning for last week rather than an ongoing series over a number of weeks. I am sorry if this was not clear, but so far as those rides go you are a week too late! I had 4 great days out though, 2 on my road bike and 2 offroad.

On another front, I am not proposing to revive my previous idea of offroad 'club rides' (cancelled at the height of wave 1) but I have used the lockdown period to check out some of the ones listed in my original article and post. For offroad riding I recommend the following and can provide additional detail on request:

- a combination of the Haswell-Hart and Castle Eden walkway routes (see the Sustrans Durham map for details)
- Tanfield/Bowes/Monkton route
- Brandon-Bishop and return via Deerness Valley
- Derwent Walk and Consett-Sunderland or Lanchester Valley routes
- various waggonways around Newcastle and North Tyneside eg Coxlodge, Killingworth, The Avenue, Brunton, Backworth and Seghill
- Teams and Angel cycleways with return via East Gateshead cycleway and Keelman's way

and more besides.