The Maiden Way: A High Pennines Adventure

Keith Aungiers

The Maiden Way: A High Pennines Adventure

Post by Keith Aungiers » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:27 pm

More than 45 years ago I made the first of many trips to the 'secret' bothy at Melmerby Shop via part of the Roman road known as The Maiden Way. Starting about 3.5 miles from Alston on the road to Hartside Pass the 'road' dips down to cross the Aglionby Beck before climbing steadily over the shoulder of Melmerby Fell then descending steeply into the Eden Valley at Townhead. It is a great route for the off-road or 'rough stuff' enthusiast.

I have been wondering whether anyone might be interested in joining me on a return trip to the High Pennines via The Maiden Way. As the photograph shows, winter would not be the best time so I am proposing this as a Vagabonds off-road adventure in spring 2020, with a start in Alston (ride there or take the car). Gravel/adventure bikes or MTBs would be the order of the day. Seventies clothing and a full load of camping kit would not be obligatory. The return trip could be via Hartside Pass or, if time and enthusiasm allowed, by following The Corpse Road, another great off-road crossing from Kirkland to Garrigill. Or perhaps a better option would be to save the Corpse Road for another day.

All thoughts welcome.
Maiden Way-001.jpg
Maiden Way-001.jpg (129.04 KiB) Viewed 189 times
Maiden Way map-001.jpg
Maiden Way map-001.jpg (150.55 KiB) Viewed 189 times

Roger Clarke

Re: The Maiden Way: A High Pennines Adventure

Post by Roger Clarke » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:53 pm

I'd be interested in joining you for that.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Alistair Irving

Re: The Maiden Way: A High Pennines Adventure

Post by Alistair Irving » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:47 pm

Sounds like a good day out. I’d be up for that